Monday, May 03, 2010

God is GOOD - All the time!

And I have proven that to myself once again. And it makes me happy, and very thankful.  That despite the many problems that came my way the past year he still takes care of me and gives me hope. And has proven also that sometimes we ask for something but he gives us something more. Just because he doesn't give us exactly what we need doesn't mean he won't, he will in fact give us something that is better.

So what's this? Well, I've honestly been one of the many people who got addicted to plastics -- you know, credit cards, the things you swipe and then you instantly get what you need. Retail therapy. Oh, there were times they were useful. Like for booking flights, or for much needed groceries. Stuff like that. And CC companies are such nice entities (*evil grin here*), they will actually give you more credit so you can enjoy your life more. That is until you fall into a financial problem and they complicate your life more. So even when I stopped working, I could still pay them up when I was organizing the bazaars last year. Probably why I don't see where all my hard work went (hmmm...). And then this year, when the bazaars are seasonal and there really is no sense in working my ass of it only for it not to work out, I just reserved the bazaar idea until Q4 of the year. And then the CC problems started to surface.  Because, now, we are living under a single income, and hubby's salary is enough for our family's needs. We are after all, paying for mortgage, gas, electricity, phone, cable, housekeeper. It adds up to a whopping 35k plus a month. Add the fact that Meralco also jacked up the rates so it adds up.  And I have to prioritize, and of course, when it comes to priorities, nothing comes close to family.

So I start worrying every day (and night) about what to do with it, because short of selling my beloved Omnia, I really will not be able to pay up the minimums of these cards. And to note, I've been paying the minimums for the longest time. But I was a good account, I paid every month, 90% on time, and never failed to give them my hard earned money - until this 2010.  And so I worry, and worry some more, and plead to God to please give me a job (a high paying one so I can pay my cards....) and to please make it soon (like next week).  Then I'd get depressed that I don't get calls for interview, worry a bit more, and more....

But much as I would like to, money really doesn't grow on trees. So I failed to make the minimum payments. And then they (evil CC companies) will call me, will try to work it out, sometimes I do, for some I don't. And then I defaulted on them one by one. CC company 1 has cancelled my card, so did CC company 2 for my two cards. I still have one loan and one card still active, and hopefully I can work these out till the end if and when I find a job.  They now want me to pay in full and return the card in halves. Already did the second one, what good is a cancelled card in your wallet anyway. The pay in full part is like duh? how do you pay a card in full if you don't have the means to pay the minimum. (I am not philosophical here, merely practical).  And then days after I already got a letter from a collections company for CC company 1. Ok.... Panic mode it is. Called them up, told them I don't have a job so I can't pay and I will call the Credit Card company once I get a job. They go like -- oh ok, hope you find one soon but we can't do anything about it, it'll get transferred to another collections agency.

In fear (lots and lots of fear -- near panic and suicidal mode), I searched my best friend (Google) and came up with this blog and the matching support group for it. I realized that I'm not alone and I found virtual friends that understand my predicament. I've also come to a lot of realizations on my finances and on my future.  I'm armed with knowledge on how to deal with my problems and move on. I know I am still starting and haven't seen the worse of it, but seeing how others dealt with their problems gave me so much hope.  And no, I am not going to run away from these debts and credit card companies. I simply realize a few things. First, by paying them off with minimum I make them rich, but I don't save, and my balances don't even move. duhhh... Second, I will stop going ito financial marathons - meaning borrowing more just to pay off another. That is digging my own grave because it won't stop. Third, the money I do save from not paying these minimums, I save for my family (when I do find work), and should I be compelled (in court) to pay them CC companies, that's the time I will.  Technically, if I add up all the interests and charges I paid them in the past x number of years, I already paid them off for what I DID spend on the card, so I'll just see them in court.

And now, I actually am looking forward to meeting these collectors. Its good to be financially free and not worry about it. I am hoping to spread the word about this support group. So if you have questions, just send me a note.

And I thank HIM for showing me this. I really am blessed!

No comments: