Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Every once in a while we look back at years passed, not to really dwell on what we did or did not do, but really just to benchmark on what are plans were and if we ever actually got there. I'm guilty of doing that all the time. Well, not on all the things in my life, I'm particularly like this when it comes to my career. Why? Because my career represents my own dreams and aspirations. Its something I decide for with myself almost all the time. Hmmm... I actually decide for myself in most aspects of my life anyway, but then again, my career represents a part of me that I did for myself. And its a part of me I'm particularly proud of.
Sadly, while I feel that I have had a good career behind me, the NOW of my career is really not something I look forward to everyday. Not that I don't enjoy what I do, but more because I feel that I am not reaping the fruits of my career for too long a time now. Yes, I enjoy being in Purchasing, its a fun job for me and something I know I'm particularly good at. But the downside of it is that I'm in a good company (lots of people think so, at least), but with a VERY LITTLE chance of moving up ANYTIME SOON.... and that for me, is the saddest, most demotivating thing that can happen to a person's career. And that to me, means: MOVE ON. Of course, it comes with sadnes that when I do decide to move on I'd be leaving officemates who were a part of my life for the past two years, and officemates I've grown to love as a family. I guess my work environment, if we define it as the people in my department and not including any prospects of career growth and dimunition of benefits, is really homey and worth staying for. If I were a typical human being who is not easily downed by sloooow career growth, I might have considered staying. But I'm not. Even my officemates think that I deserve more.
Hay.... it really gets me down these days - this career-financial worry thing. I could only hope there are better days ahead of me....

No comments: