Sunday, July 09, 2006

MBA

Roughly 2 and a half years ago, I set my mind on pursuing my post-graduate degree. For me it was the best time to start it, after all, I was 25: young and still single. It would be something for me. And besides, at that time my workload in the office wasn't heavy, i could easily leave the office after exactly 9 hours of work.
I first took application forms from Ateneo Graduate School of Business. After all, they only required a minimum of 1 year work experience (I had more than 2 years, shy of 3 years by only a few months). Then, on the day I came back to UP to get my recommendation forms from my former college, I happened to pass through the UP Business Administration Bldg. and asked my self if I should dare ask for a form. And I did. I then took my chances, took the admission exams and passed - for the full time program. Of course I couldn't give up work, so I appealed to the good graces of the UP MBA Program Director to allow me into the part-time program.. to which he agreed after seeing my credentials. Took the summer classes, after which I passed the final qualifying exams which officially made me part of the program.
The first year had been rough, there were assignments all the time, case studies, lectures over stuff I didn't have any background with (Accounting) and subjects my brain refused to take in (Economics). There were classes Monday to Friday except Wednesdays. And Saturdays we usually had to meet with groupmates to do casework or projects. Looking back, the first year was definitely the toughest of them all.
It was also financially-challenging. When I started, I had to plot all my bonuses well into the future as tuition fees. I quietly resigned myself to the fact that, for the next 3 years of my life, I would have no bonus to spend for myself. Till now, whenever its enrolment period, I get silently depressed.
But more than the financial burden and the lack of quality time for myself, the program was nothing like I'd ever imagined post-grad school to be. true, there were days when you don't feel like going to class, days when you come to class and not listen. But more than that, the learnings are so much more. I learned about stuff I would not have understood had I stuck to my bachelors degree. In Engineering they taught us all about theories, plant design, math, etc. But in MBA they teach us Accounting, Management control, Human Resource Management, Strategy. All the stuff incorporated into real life experiences of the Professors and the students/professionals themselves. Every bit of it (except for some subjects, which I repeat, will always be Greek to me!) was worth learning, and worth paying for with my bonuses.
Finally, and I think, as important as the previous paragraph, was the fact that I gained more friends. These are friends I knew I'd always cherish, just as much as high school or college friends. Every once in a while we'd go out for dinner, and these dinners were truly heartwarming. These guys are some of the wittiest, cleverest people one would hope to meet, and I'm happy they came into my life. MBA would never be the same without these guys.
Now that I'm a few months shy of getting my degree (one and a half sems plus comprehensive exams, to be exact), I'd look forward to the days when I can go home straight after work, or go malling perhaps. And spend my bonuses on clothes and shoes, or techie gadgets, or save it for the future. But I'd also be sad, knowing I won't see my friends as often.

hayyy... feeling senti lang, this early I feel like I'm really gonna miss my friends. ...
sooo weird to feel senti over something I'll feel in the future. hehehe....

till next post. hopefully I can post more often.... duhhhh....

No comments: