Thursday, July 26, 2007

Patience

Been meaning to blog with this title for weeks now. Its always been in my head, but I haven't had the inspiration to really blog about it.
Every time my daughter, Jessica, cries and nothing seems to appease her, and I'm not feeling mad or irritated at all, I realize just how much motherhood has changed me. Apart from the time when I was in postpartum depression, I've realized that being a mom changes even the hardest attitudes to change. For me, its patience. See, I'm a self-confessed impatient person. I always, always want things fast, decisions made fast, I work fast. In other words, I'm a fast paced person. Aside from that, I want others to act in the same tune. I hate it when things are done slowly, when decisions take a long time to make.
Being a mom changed me in a way I think is best for me. I never realized that I can have an endless amount of patience when dealing with the needs of my daughter. Now, its okay when she cries hard when she's trying to sleep but can't quite catch it yet. I can hold her for hours, or talk to her about nothing and everything. I used to live my life trying to do too many things at the same time. She changed that. Now I can spend some days relaxing, (though I don't sleep still) and not feel guilty of the things I didn't do. My maternity leave also gave me opportunities to be a wife to my husband again, something I rarely did since I got pregnant. It makes me feel good that I can again attend to his needs.
Has motherhood changed me? Yes it did, but in most aspects, for the better.

No comments: